All HUIT printers in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) are available over the network, allowing you to print to any of these printers from a House wired network. Once you have set up your printers, you may also print from the wireless network as long as you use the VPN.
The Harvard network uses PaperCut to print to FAS printers in computer labs and Houses. Harvard charges users for printing to its network printers. PaperCut identifies printers you can use, and handles the payment for printing. Without PaperCut installed on your computer, you will not be able to print to Harvard printers. Before you print you should log into PaperCut and add funds to your budget. Go here to see more details about printing charges and PaperCut.
Change in organization of printers: Action Required.
From Saturday September 24th, 2011, the PaperCut system will be upgraded in order to improve performance and reliability. Mac users must make various changes in order to continue to print on Harvard laser printers. Follow the instructions below to bring your system up to date.
Remove the old PaperCut apps
- If you had previously installed House or Lab printers before Saturday September 24th, 2011), you must remove them. After this date as they will no longer work, and you will no longer be able to print using them.
- Click System Preferences in your Dock, or click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences
- Click Print & Fax (the actual name may vary depending on the version of Mac OS X you are using)
- In the left hand column click once on a Harvard printer and then click the minus button at the bottom of the list to remove it. Repeat this action for every Harvard printer that appears in the list.
- Close Print & Fax.
- If PaperCut is running, quit it
- Go to your Applications folder
- Find the PaperCut application and drag it to the Trash
- Find the PaperCut Printer Selection Application and drag it to the Trash
- Empty the Trash
Install PaperCut and the Printer Selector
The new HUIT Printer Selector Application allows you to add PaperCut printers to your Mac as long as it is using OS X 10.5 “Leopard”, OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard” or OS X 10.7 “Lion”. You may add multiple printers at the same time with this application.
- Go to the FAS Downloads page. When prompted, enter your HUID and PIN.
- Find the item called Papercut Client and Printer Selector (Figure 1). Download both installers.
- Install the PaperCut client and Printer Selector Application :
- Go to your Downloads folder, or wherever you downloaded the PaperCut Client installer above.
- Depending on your Mac’s configuration you will either see a white ZIP archive file called
PCClient_Mac.zipor a file with a Harvard shield icon called
PCClient_Mac.pkg(Figure 2). If you see the ZIP archive, double–click on it to extract the installer package. You should now see the file with a Harvard Shield icon called
PCClient_Mac.pkg. Supply your Mac password when prompted, to allow the installation to proceed.
- The PaperCut client and the HUIT PaperCut Printer Selector app will be placed in the Applications folder (Figure 3).
Setting up PaperCut's printers
- Open the Printer Selector Application from the Applications folder.
- The app will show a list of printers available via PaperCut. (Figure 4)
- Select the printer(s) you want to add. If you want to add more than 1 printer, hold down the Command (⌘) key while selecting each printer.
- When you’re done selecting the printers you want to add, click the Add Printer(s) button.
- Supply your Mac password when prompted.
- A sheet showing the progress of printer installations will briefly appear over the Printer Selector app’s window (Figure 5)
- Once the installation completes, you may verify that the printers were added by going to System Preferences and clicking on Printers & Fax (Print & Scan on OS X 10.7 “Lion”).
- Quit the Printer Selector app by pressing Command (⌘) + Q.
Printing using PaperCut
- Open the PaperCut Application if it is not already running
- In your application, give the Print command
- In the printing sheet that appears, choose one of the Harvard printers you installed above
- Click Print
- PaperCut will bounce its Dock icon and ask you to enter your FAS Domain user name and password. Enter these. You can choose to remain logged in to PaperCut for a period of time so you do not have to enter your credentials every time you print.
- Your document will be printed
- You will see PaperCut deduct the cost of your printing from your balance
Please make sure that the PaperCut client is open before trying to send the document to the printer. If PaperCut is not open before you try to print, the document will not be printed.
Add money to your FAS printing budget
To add money to your FAS printing budget, open a web browser and go to the Harvard PaperCut site.
From this page, you can:
- Add money to your FAS account with your credit card. Undergraduate and GSAS students can charge their termbill. To add money to your printing budget with Crimson Cash, see a User Assistant at the FAS Help Desk in the Science Center basement. See How do I add money to my FAS laser printing budget? for more information.
- See your transaction history, including when money was added to and when print jobs were debited from your printing budget.
- See your recent print jobs to all FAS IT networked printers.
- Release a job from a print queue, if you are printing from a Linux workstation.